Discussion on anything and everything that pleases my tastes. By Anton Velikodnyy.

Monday, April 30, 2012

If Lemons Could Kill.

(http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/cave-johnson-combustible-lemons)
       “When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!” (Cave Johnson) WOW! That is a pretty big quote. As a matter of fact, it is only 83 words long, all of which is said by Cave Johnson. This fine gentleman is a fictional character from a popular game series called “Portal”. Obviously, Portal gave this quote many meanings.

            “When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade.” This is the start of the quote. Originally the quote was, “When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade.” Cave Johnson warped this quote. One would expect the “you make lemonade” part, but he contradicts it. Why? Well, because life gave him moon rocks, which in turn gave him an incurable disease. How sad. No really, it is sad how there is one less fictional science fanatic.

            “Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these?” In this quote Cave Johnson further exposes his hate of “life”. When he refers to lemons, he means moon rocks, the rocks that gave him the disease. He wants life to take the moon rocks back. It made him mad. Johnson also states later, “What the hell am I supposed to do with these?” This implies that he had not found any use for them. In the game, mood dust (grinded up moon rocks) was as useful as a plain white piece of tile.

            “Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons!” This quote shows how Cave Johnson despised the disease. He wanted to despise that day of life, when he received the disease. Throughout the game, Johnson became more and more aggressive towards the disease.

            And finally, “Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!” Here Johnson was on his last nerve. Here he wanted his team of scientist (he was a science research CEO) to find a cure to his disease, which was symbolic to burning life’s house down.

            In the end, Cave Johnson was unable to find the cure. His team of researchers were useless to his in devours. He even went out of the way to make an AI with his intelligence. But his death wish was to have his assistant, Caroline, to take over the AI. He died too fast and too soon. And to think that lemons could kill.

            And finally, “Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!” Here Johnson was on his last nerve. Here he wanted his team of scientist (he was a science research CEO) to find a cure to his disease, which was symbolic to burning life’s house down.

            In the end, Cave Johnson was unable to find the cure. His team of researchers were useless to his in devours. He even went out of the way to make an AI with his intelligence. But his death wish was to have his assistant, Caroline, to take over the AI. He died too fast and too soon. And to think that lemons could kill.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, this is a good post but you need to explain where this quote is from. I know it since I am around you all the time. But you should've explained on where it came from. Other than that, what is your topic about? This blog is called "Life as we know it?" I'm assuming it's about life, which makes sense since the quote is referring to a fictional character's life. Be more specific. Other than that, good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gabe. But "Life as We Know It" is the title of my blog. The title of the post is "If lemons could kill". I will try to make the title of the post bigger, so that way anybody can notice it. Also there is a sentence informing the reader of where the quote came from. Thank you for your input!

      Delete
  2. I liked it :) i like how you broke down the quote piece by piece. At first i would have thought it was just an old grumpy man.. but it turned out kinda sad..ish.. good post :D

    ReplyDelete